Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Bohemia Boards & Brews: A first look

We're super excited today to share a bit more info about our opening. BB&B will be located at Charkovska 18, in the Vrsovice district of Prague. If you're familiar with the area, you know that Vrsovice is an up and coming neighbourhood, fast becoming the hipster-mecca of the city. We'll be a stone's throw away from the Kino Pilot Art House Cinema, Jam & Co, restaurant Plavel, the Bad Flash beer bar, Sladkovsky's (home of one of our favourite prague burgers) and a host of new pubs, bars, and restaurants opening nearby.

The space we're moving into is the current home of Kralik v Radiu, which will be moving out at the end of this month. It's a historic building located directly between the Krymska and Ruska tram stops, located right on the corner. It currently has 2 main rooms and a small kitchen. Here are a few shots of the location right now:

The front door with cool awning
The main room which currently holds the bar/kitchen
The second room is currently used as a play area for small kids

So, not exactly a nightlife hot-spot yet, is it? So this is where the work begins. We've already been hard at work conveying our vision to the architects to create a true gaming HQ in the heart of Prague. So, how's it going to look when we're all done? Drumroll please......



The basic layout stays similar to the current configuration (adding seats to the playroom)
The basic look and feel

Some highlights/notes:

1. Kitchen area will allow us to serve a variety of snacks, drinks, and some simple sandwich plates. Our plan at the moment includes roast beef sandwiches, paninis, bagel plates, and veggie and hummus platters.

2. The lighting shown here is much simpler than what we envision. There will be much more ambient lighting (using bare LEDs) along with the spots for each table.

3. Bench seating along the right-side wall allows tables to squeeze in a few extra players.

4. Near the front door, we've got a comfy couch seating area for more intimate gaming.

5. Long tables located in the 2nd room accommodate larger groups and social games.

6. Overall simple color scheme and materials -highlighting the games rather than the decor.

7. We should be able to accommodate about 60 -80 people, probably more on busy nights with some creative table gymnastics.

8. Most importantly, game shelving located at the back and side walls (flanking the bar). Unfortunately, I don't believe we'll be able to fit the entire collection (of about 500 games). However this just means we'll only have the BEST games on display.

That's about it. We're currently finalising the plans and getting the relevant permissions for construction. Needless to say, we're getting pretty excited to get the keys in our hands and get to work bringing all of this to life. In the meantime, be sure to come to one of our pop-up game nights throughout Prague to get your gaming fix and let me know if you have any questions.

1 comment:

  1. The concept is very good and the facilities are nice but the service is disgraceful. They take ages to serve, overpriced, food quality is bad and what's worse, they tend to add extra drinks to your account (not intentionally but due to having overworked staff who can't keep track of what they're doing). When you complain about it the owner will tell you that they never have this issues and the blame is on you.

    Today it was the second time this happened to me. After first time I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and even though I complained I really liked the place and decided to go again.

    I thought I wouldn't have to go through that same embarrassing situation but guess what? I did. Even though this time I decided to ignore it and pay the extra drinks like nothing happened but my friend realized and complained besides me asking him to ignore that fact, but as it was obvious that we were being over-charged again he didn't listen to me. What was the reply from the owner?

    "This always happens when your friend is here. I don't want to see you here again" -He said addressing me.

    Sir Owner, Is it my mistake that you don't know how to do your job and keep track of few miserable beers? Is it my mistake that you overcharge me?
    Am I supposed to keep quiet and smile because you are not able to count up to 10? INCREDIBLE!!

    I really have no words for this. I've never been accused of cutting down my bill and I'm very proud of paying all of my dues diligently plus tips ( and I've left tips in this hole). Last thing i need is being accused of being a scoundrel without room for discussion when the situation is completely the opposite.

    Even though I like the place, I'll never go there again. When you go to one of this places the last thing you want is that someone makes you feel like that. I just want to have few drinks, have fun and pay for my bill fairly. The frustration I feel right now is hard to describe.... they may not need my money and they will be successful regardless because it is a nice place indeed but they will never have another one of my visits or recommendations (and I've sent a few...) because they customer service is disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete